Monday, October 02, 2006

Some Marvel Love For Ya....




Here's a couple of Marvel Comics related pieces--by request! One is actually a piece I did when ILM was bidding on Ang Lee's Hulk movie a few years ago. FX houses often put together "bids" to get a production interested in using their services. This often involves lots of exploratory artwork and this was one of the pieces we used to entice the Hulk production team to use ILM. This was actually the second time I did bid artwork for a Hulk movie for ILM. Years earlier I worked on a completely different version in which Jonathan ( The Punisher ) Hensleigh was attached to direct.

The Silver Surfer piece is another I did straight to computer with my Wacom tablet. I'm begining to enjoy drawing this way more and I'm happy to not have to deal with ink or scan stuff in anymore. The brush strokes are less spontaneous, but it's fun to go back and forth with the black and white and work both subtractively and additively.

This will be my last bit of superhero stuff on this blog, at least for a while. I don't want to look like a big advertisement for the mainstream comics industry! I'm mainly going to post my own creations for now. It's fun to get nostalgic and all, but anyone that knows me knows that my taste drifted away from mainstream comics decades ago. Even when I was heavily into mainstream comics, I generally bought them based on who drew them. I'm mainly a lover of the medium of comics in all it's forms. I'm also interested in the many different creators who've influenced me over the years. Sooo...in addition to my own art, I'm planning an ongoing series of posts about comic artists and illustrators who have been an inspiration to me. Not just the usual suspects, but talent that is either not seen very much in this country, or was forgotten through time, or for some reason was not fashionable. I'm going to call the series "The Forgotten and The Foreign" , and will start with the next posting.

4 Comments:

At Thursday, October 5, 2006 at 1:58:00 AM PDT, Blogger HoDeanie said...

While I like your interpretations of "mainstream" comic art characters, and I think it's interesting subject matter to try new styles of drawing, and (of course) your stuff is always good (in my book). I must admit I actually prefer when you show us your "own" material. I like Benton Jew characters & stories. I'd really like to see more of your original comics up here, got any?

 
At Thursday, October 5, 2006 at 2:02:00 AM PDT, Blogger HoDeanie said...

Of course now I won't see you at home, because you'll probably have to create some - huh?

 
At Monday, October 9, 2006 at 4:18:00 PM PDT, Blogger crazy_asian_man said...

Wowza!
Thanks for sharing these.... Eons ago, when we were (yikes) teens, I had no idea that you weren't so much into the mainstream dc/marvel characters but more into the artists---

Curious on whatever you are working on, thanks for letting me know about the blog! :)

P.S. - I don't know a thing about cats. I assume they're all Siamese. ; p

 
At Monday, October 9, 2006 at 4:49:00 PM PDT, Blogger benton jew said...

crazy asian-Around that time (eeek! early eighties!) I was starting to look outside Marvel/DC stuff for inspiration. I remember back in our NYAPA days I even experimented doing a romance comic just for kicks. I don't think many teenage boys would own up to that! I'm not against the superhero stuff by any means, it's just that art is really my main focus. But then maybe I should reconsider, considering the non-existent response to my non-superhero postings!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home