Monday, February 12, 2007

Reality vs. Memory





Some "girl art" for you all. The color piece is one I did entirely from my imagination in photoshop. The other is a charcoal drawing I sketched from life. There are things I like about both of them. Obviously, the charcoal piece has a lot more life and character to it. You get the feeling she is pensive or worried. The color piece seems a little dead in the face. The thing I want to learn is how to give a drawing done from imagination the same character and emotion that you would get if you had a model in front of you.

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, February 13, 2007 at 11:00:00 AM PST, Blogger Dominic Bugatto said...

They're both quite lovely, but I have to agree that the charcoal piece is more 'alive' and emotive.

Thanks for sharing.

 
At Tuesday, February 13, 2007 at 9:24:00 PM PST, Blogger BKO said...

The MASTER......

 
At Thursday, February 15, 2007 at 5:29:00 PM PST, Blogger crazy_asian_man said...

Always enjoy reading this journal- both look great, I also agree that the life drawing has more fire to it.

About drawings straight from the imagination having more firepower: Just got done reading a book on Gil Kane, who said that (surprisingly) he never got into using photo references until much later in his career, because he was worried that the drawings would look lack a personalized touch to them if they were too photorealistic--- but then realized later that he could merge them.

Doesn't really answer the thought you threw out, but your comment made me think about Kane's thoughts.

More pics, please. :)
(Yes, I'm greedy, I know...)

 
At Sunday, February 25, 2007 at 8:29:00 AM PST, Blogger Percy Bysshe said...

The charcoal piece is stunning - although the painting also looks great...

 
At Monday, July 2, 2007 at 2:58:00 PM PDT, Blogger D.J. Wong said...

Who are you trying to fool, Balfoo? you never seen a girl like the one in your comp. rendering!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home