Saturday, January 30, 2010

"Tales of the New West" by Hernandez/Jew



I've been slowly cleaning out my studio lately.  I've been going through lots of old work that I haven't seen in decades.  I came across this comics page I did in 1988.  I was just finishing up in art school and was soon to embark upon my film career at ILM when I did this. This page was one of a handful I did for "Tales of the New West", a project written by Mario Hernandez of Love and Rockets fame.  I was ( and still am ) a huge fan of all three Hernandez Bros, so I was extremely excited when Mario asked me to help him out on the project.  Unfortunately, with my fulltime school load among other things, I wasn't able to commit my full attention to the project at the time and it never got off the ground.  The story was a quirky, imaginative adventure story and I would have loved to see were it would've gone.

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, February 9, 2010 at 1:20:00 PM PST, Blogger etmthree said...

Hello --

I'm sorry to bother you; I hope you can help me find decent-sized (digital) copies of some wonderful gag artwork you did at ILM in the 90s. If I recall correctly, you did 3 amazing EC Comics "covers" with VFX themes. I think they may have gone out as a holiday card. Is there anyplace where they can be found/seen/purchased?
There's a whole new generation of VFX artists who could appreciate the humor.

thanks,

Ed Manning

 
At Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 1:05:00 PM PST, Blogger benton jew said...

Ed-

The art department created three ECish pieces of artwork to advertise the 1997 ILM Halloween Party. Huge Banners were made, as well as postcards sent to ILMer's. A nice poster was even made of my "Attack of the Nitpickers" piece. Brian O'Connell did a "Howard the Duck" piece, and Scott Leberecht did a "George Lucas mask" piece.

I also did a scifi themed piece the next year.

I was going to do a post about the "Nitpickers" piece ( and others like it ) this month anyway, so stay tuned.

 
At Monday, February 22, 2010 at 11:45:00 AM PST, Blogger crazy_asian_man said...

Very cool--- speaking of comix- What's the status of your new comic book stuff, though, btw?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home